The Daughter of Wonder Woman

As I write this post, I am somewhere between a state of denial and an undoubting belief that my God will cure her of cancer. Actually, I am writing this post in the bedroom of the house, where I have lived with my parents, for the last twenty years. And now I am writing a post on a blog about bravery, when in fact I have no idea, how "to be brave".

Maybe you are wondering about the 'her' that I mentioned in the first sentence. 'Her' is Wonder Woman. 'Her' is smart, beautiful, loving. 'Her' is hard-working, determined, motivated. 'Her' is brave. 'Her' answers to the name Momma (or Coco). 

Coco became ill in August of 2011, and received a Pancreatic Cancer diagnosis in September of 2011. She had surgery, chemo, radiation, more chemo and a clinical trial. In June of 2012, my momma had no traces of cancer in her body. We threw a big party and attempted to find our way back to normal. On October 12, 2012, my world was turned upside down. Again. That cancer returned, uninvited, and it brought friends. The cancer recurred in Coco's pancreas and had metastasized to her lungs. 

Without hesitation, Coco donned her Wonder Woman cape and began treatment. The only treatment she could be offered was chemotherapy. This time, however, the cancer would not be touched by four months of chemo. So, my parents made the heartbreaking decision to cease chemotherapy. As the cancer progressed, the doctors had nothing else to offer her except a prognosis: less than 1 year. 

Months. Wait, what? Months can seem like a lifetime when you are anticipating a concert or vacation. Months to live? Well that, feels like hours. 

You see, I am 23 years old. Only 23 years old. My momma is "dying" of cancer. Like I said before, I'm dabbling in denial so I hate to use that word. I guess that is what the doctors call it. But I'm also hovering around the...'God wouldn't actually let her die from this. He's just testing me. He knows I'm too young for this and that I still need her'

This blog is a journey. My journey to discover what it means, to be brave. This is certainly not the kind of brave you have when you decide to ride the newest roller coaster at Hersheypark. This is the kind of brave that is unimaginable at 23. This is the kind of brave you have 'to be' if God's answer to your prayers to heal your mom, is NO. 

Today I have no idea how to be brave, but I will learn. And that's all I know for sure. 

Comments

  1. "Promise me you'll always remember,
    You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think"
    xo

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Year of Running

The Hurt & The Healer

Momma's Day