Avengers Super Heroes Half Marathon

Mommy!!!! (And the rest of the world!)

I did it! I ran a half marathon today! I feel so much better now that it's over.

Momma, my stomach started feeling uncomfortable on Saturday morning. I hoped so much that it was nerves and that it would just turn to excitement the next morning. Around 9pm last night, I decided to go for a jog around the motel complex so I ran 5 laps which may have been about a half mile. I got ready for bed but I definitely wasn't as prepared as I was in February. 
I set my alarm for really super early because I know that I don't do well when I have to wake up and run right away. Well, I did what I always do and hit snooze twice. It was a little later than I had wanted to get up but I still had plenty of time. The first thing I did was make hot water using the coffee machine so that I could have some oatmeal. I tried to force that oatmeal down but it just wasn't appetizing. In February, I ate every bite of my oatmeal and an entire bagel. I began to get so anxious. And that's when I almost lost it. I kept praying that God would take it away and I had been praying for months that I wouldn't have pre-race anxiety. But there I was, an hour before starting time, with paralyzing anxiety. I finally decided that I just needed to get dressed and so I did and then when I was dressed I began to walk to the race. I couldn't wait for my sisters because it was a now or never type of deal. I stopped at the public bathroom once on the way and I threw out my oatmeal that I only partly ate. After my first stop, I continued walking and tried to eat a nutrigrain bar. My stomach wasn't feeling that either so I threw a quarter of that away. I checked my bag and then I made another stop at the portable toilets. I didn't want to have to stop for a bathroom break during the run so it was either now or hours from now. And then I walked to my starting corral. All of my friends were in different corrals so this time I would have to start my race solo. In February, Steph and I spent the hour together making our way to the start. Soon enough I needed to move forward with the rest of my corral because our starting time was coming. I took deep breaths and before so knew it, my feet were running and I was crossing the starting line. My music was up and my phone was on airplane mode (so the battery didn't die) and I just ran.

I started out slow, which is really no surprise because I'm a slow runner all of the time. My stomach still hurt but I did everything I could to ignore it. I had my phone in my spibelt but after two miles, I decided to carry it because it didn't comfortable against my aching stomach. It weighed me down but I don't hate the product. I think it was just the circumstances of that day. 

Mile 2 went right through Sleeping Beauty's Castle and by pure luck, I happened to see my dad standing along Main Street USA. So I ran over to high five him and continued on my way.

So I ran and ran. And the wind blew and blew. There was a severe windstorm warning for the city of Anaheim today. And boy was it windy! I've trained in some wind but nothing like this! There were 25-35mph winds during the whole race! At least it was sunny! It was gorgeous out! Nothing makes me feel better than sun and blue skies! It felt like whichever way we turned, the wind was blowing against us. There was like a half of a mile where it was behind me and I thought I was going to fly! 

Hands down, miles 6 & 7 were the hardest! Those were the two miles that brought us to Angels Stadium and they were flat and straight along this huge basin that I think was filled with water at some point. But today, it was empty and full of dirt and dust. The wind blew against us for the entire two miles. So I squinted because the dust and dirt was flying into my eyes! And it was also so windy that when the dirt would hit your skin it would sting! So my legs, arms, and face were stinging for two miles from the high winds and dirt. 

But eventually, I made it past those two miles and 8 was right through the stadium! 

The mile markers were falling over from the wind so I never saw mile marker 11 or 12. I knew I was getting close to the finish when I starting seeing runners who were now spectators watching with their medals on the side of the course! 

And sure enough, the finish line was ahead and I ran my little heart out at least a few feet past the finish line so I could be sure that I really did finish! I followed the path to where I received my Avengers medal and then I went through a separate line to receive my Coast to Coast medal! Those medals were beautiful! They were really heavy but I didn't notice until I had been wearing all three for at least a half hour!

I met up with Bryanna and Kevin for some post-race pictures! The after-party was canceled because of the high winds blowing over tents and parts of the stage!


I then found my dad in the chEAR squad where I waited at the finish line for my sisters to cross! I also ate my entire box of food while I waited! 


After my sisters finished we ran into Julie and Becky for some group photos! It was so sweet to see them! I didn't get to see them in February at the Princess Half so I was really excited to see them this time! 


We made our way back to the hotel for showers and rest! I guess it is a Schwartz tradition to eat Mexican food after a half marathon because that is what we did today and in February! 

I'm so excited and I feel really blessed that I was able to complete two half marathons on both coasts of the US this year! I wish that you could have been a part of all of this momma! I feel like you would have been so excited and proud of us! This is just a small part of the things I may do in my life but you can be sure I will tell you about my year of running when I see you someday in Heaven!

I love you so much and I miss you like crazy today and everyday! 

Love your runner,
Kelsey 


Click below for more California!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Year of Running

The Hurt & The Healer

Four Months