Nine Months

Momma,

I cannot believe that today, January 8, 2014, is 9 months. It is my first letter to you in this new year. It is the 8th day of the new year and I'm already exhausted. More on that in a minute.

In the past month, we celebrated Christmas and New Year's. Those were rough holidays but we made it through. I'm sure you knew that we would be fine. And we were.

We have had a rough winter this far, which has made it challenging to train for the half marathon. On Sunday, Jan 5, we had freezing rain but I made it to the gym for my 7 mile run. I killed it! Deb was there too and she killed her mileage also! On Monday morning we were one of the only schools without a two-hour delay. We should have had one...

Within 20 seconds of getting out of my car, I was laying on black ice in the parking lot of my school. I never even had time to process that it was everywhere. I screamed for a bit and then I just laid there. I can't really remember what was going on around me. I believe my co-workers were piling clothes on me to keep me warm. And finally the ambulance came and the EMT's rolled me into a board, lifted me to the stretcher, and put me in the ambulance. I hated it. I was cold and then I was hot and sweating and no one would take my coat off. I felt so trapped by all of the straps but they said that they could not remove them. When we got in the hospital, my anxiety was through the roof. Amy helped me take my coat off even though the EMT's would not. I could not help but wish you were there but I knew Dad was on his way. Deb came with him. Amy went back to work and I am so thankful for her!

This was taken right after dad got to the hospital. I was still wearing my soaking wet pants so dad put his coat and my coat over my legs.

Deb, dad and I stayed at the hospital for almost 10 hours! After some X-rays and a CT scan, it was determined that I broke my sacrum. I spent the day in my "room" in the hallway and it was exhausting. I just wanted to sleep but there was too much commotion. 

This was my room in the hallway. I had curtains to pull around my bed but I didn't use them! Also, Dad did not tell me he was taking my picture. Deb was playing Sudoku on her phone.

Momma, I haven't been back to work yet because I am in quite a bit of pain and I have to go to a few doctor appointments this week. 

The saddest part of all of this is that it appears that I may not be able to run in the Disney Princess Half Marathon which is 7 weeks away. I will walk it no matter what but I wanted to run it! Mommy, I hope you will be proud of me either way. I know that God has a plan for all of this, I am just frustrated by it.

In church this past Sunday, my pastor talked about how everyone always says, "God has a wonderful plan for your life". But we always forget that God's idea of wonderful is different than our idea of wonderful. So this doesn't feel wonderful to me at all but I must remember that it is His plan and it is wonderful. Whatever that means. 

Mommy, I cried so much for you this week. I just feel awful and I miss you all the time! I know you are happier than you have ever been but we still want you here!

Love you forever and always,
Kelsey

P.S. Please call or email if you get a chance. You know the digits. 
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Year of Running

The Hurt & The Healer

Six Months